Local Wisdom is a research project by Dr Kate Fletcher that aims to gather examples of clothes that are used in ways that save resources and give us satisfaction.
The Local Wisdom process involves documenting the stories of clothes, through image and word. Photo shoots are advertised in local press, community notice boards and within established local networks.
Volunteers are asked to bring along something that fits into one of the following categories:
- Garments that are shared between people
- Garments that are regularly worn and have never been washed (and aren’t leather!)
- Garments that show or tell the story of how they have been used
- Garments that are made up of interchangeable pieces that can be worn in different ways
- Garments that are worn the same in different situations
- Garments or elements of garments that make for easy repair
- Garments enjoying a third, fourth or fifth life
- Garments that catch your attention each time you wear them
- Garments worn in ways that reinforce or defy the producer’s values
- Garments that connect us to others and/or remind us of our potential
- Garments worn in response to changing economic and environmental concerns
- Garments that are adapted over and again to meet changing needs
- Garments that are perfect for you
To learn more and to see more images from the day, please visit the Local Wisdom website.
Thank you to Rebecca for introducing me to Lynda. Thank you to Lynda for introducing me to Kate. Thank you to Kate for giving me the opportunity to document your project. Thank you to all the volunteers who became fabulous models, whether they wanted to or not. And thank you to Bridget for staying by my side all day and for helping make the photos even better.
About the author paige green
Paige Green is a documentary and portrait photographer, whose storytelling approach to photography frequently addresses issues involving agriculture, land use, and food. Her work is featured in nine books and has been published in Glamour, National Geographic Traveler, New York Times Magazine, Conde Nast Traveler, GQ, Country Living, House Beautiful, and Culture. Paige lives in Petaluma, CA with a house full of boys.
My Brain On War… (And FREE Photo Shoot for those who match my donation to relief efforts in Ukraine)
When the World Feels Upside Down… Together We Can (plus: bonus photo of me in middle school)
Headshots for Women’s Rights
Your posts are always so unique and ALWAYS make me feel good…..xoxo
My garment is a very dirty green vest and I LOVE it!
I love the words with the photos! Perfect style for the project. Amazing photos. Makes me feel I need more inspiring clothes.
Networking works well. Great pictures!